Whether you’re a beginner or pro angler, unhooking a fish isn’t always straightforward and you might injure your hands. Thanks to fish lip grippers, you can unhook your game without hurting it or yourself. For that reason, it is one of the things you should have in your fishing gear. But we understand you might not want to spend a ton of money on such a device.
Well, you’re in luck. We have compiled the best budget-friendly fish lip grippers in this post. The best part: they are all below $50!
5 Best Below-$50 Fish Lip Grippers Every Angler Need
At below $20, Rapala is the perfect budget fish lip gripper. But beyond the price, this product is equally effective at what it does.
The pricing and effectiveness aside, we love the quality of the Rapala fish lip gripper. The parts are made with top-grade, heavy-duty plastic. Thanks to that, you don’t have to worry about corrosion and poisoning.
Most importantly, the plastic material of the Rapala gripper also means that it is less harsh on fish. In other words, you’ll be contributing your quota to sustainable angling.
- Beginner-friendly – Rapala gripper is overall an easy-to-use product. It uses an open-close mechanism, like pliers, that even a 7th-grader can figure out. And say it fell into the water, the plastic material means it will always float to the surface.
- Lightweight – Rapala gripper isn’t only affordable but also light. Though the fish gripper has a large frame, it weighs about 5.1oz.
- Durability – the heavy-duty plastic material of Rapala offers similar strength as metal but with zero corrosion and floating properties. As long as you handle it with care, you’ll reap even more than your money’s worth.
- Because of the big frame, the Rapala gripper can’t grip small fish.
- The lightness of the Rapala gripper also means it can’t hold extra-large games (more than 25lb). Else, the handle might break.
- Unfortunately, the Rapala gripper can be stiff; the head doesn’t rotate.
If you are after extra-large games (up to 50lbs), the KastKing gripper is what you need. Like Rapala, KastKing is also a plastic fish lip gripper, but this time a low-density plastic.
In other words, you can expect the same durability and zero-corrosion of Rapala with the KastKing gripper. However, KastKing is a more trustworthy brand; they made their name selling dog toys and food. So, rest assured that you will get a quality fish lip gripper that is worth your money.
Talking about money: the KastKing gripper cost only $29.99. If you consider the quality and features of this product, the price is a steal.
- Aesthetics – KastKing gripper comes in an orange-black color that is very attractive. Though you might not care much about beauty, this compactness and design are top-notch. Such qualities will make your pictures pop out.
- Easy to use – like Rapala, KastKing gripper also use open-close mechanisms – but the jaws are small and firm. Plus, they come with a non-puncture end that will guarantee the safety of your game.
- Digital scale – KastKing gripper comes with a waterproof scale to measure your catch. Thanks to that feature, you can have more accountability over your angling trips. You could even use the scale to set the targets.
- Like Rapala, the head of the KastKing gripper doesn’t rotate.
- The accuracy of the digital scale can be better.
Piscifun gripper beats KastKing in all departments. For starters, it comes with an accurate digital scale. Though there are limitations when measuring the weights of big games. You can always use the deviation table to get the correct reading. The best part: the scale is in-built (at the handle). So, you don’t have to worry about losing it.
Also, the Piscifun gripper can rotate its head, unlike Rapala and KastKing. Beautifully enough, the rotation ability is 3600.
However, the many features of the Piscifun gripper come at a cost. At $39.99, this product is a premium choice. But it is still relatively affordable!
- Versatile – it doesn’t matter if you’re after a big or small game; the Piscifun gripper can fit into the mouth of any fish. It comes with a 1.57” opening that can contract and extend to grip the game you’re hunting.
- T-style design – the compact styling of the Piscifun gripper is a beauty. But the aesthetics aside, the design makes the device easy to use for any angler. Unless you have a small hand, reaching the lever and rotating the head is straightforward.
- Stainless steel and rubber material – the Piscifun gripper combines two different corrosive materials for its design. That automatically adds to its beauty. But beyond that, the versatility makes the device stronger than typical fish lip grippers.
- Though the brand claims that the digital scale of the Piscifun gripper is water-resistant, it can’t stay more than 5 minutes in water.
- The scale drains the battery surprisingly fast.
If you want the most affordable lip gripper, this Mounchain product is the best. At $7.99, this device won’t offer the same effectiveness as the Piscifun gripper. But you can expect the standard gripping function.
Price aside, the Mounchain gripper is outstandingly portable. And as a result, it is restricted to small games.
Overall, the Mounchain gripper can be the perfect gift for a kid that is still learning the ropes of angling. Or you can have it around for emergencies.
- It floats – unlike other stainless steel fish grippers, the Mounchain floats. You might never even drop it accidentally because it has a wrist lanyard.
- Lightweight – the Mounchain gripper has the least weight on our list. At 4.3oz, this device can fit into the smallest space, and you won’t feel the weight.
- No rotating head
- A pro angler can’t do anything with this fish gripper.
If you want a moderately-priced fish lip gripper similar to Piscifun, the Entsport gripper is a perfect choice. It comes with a T-style design for easy handling.
More importantly, it comes with scale too. Unfortunately, it is a mechanical scale – that is what you’ll get for $12.90. Regardless, the scale is easy to use. The readings are engraved visibly on the body of the gripper for comfortable reading.
- EVA foam handle – enables you to hold the Entsport comfortably without fear of blisters. However, note that the comfort will come after consistent use.
- Lightweight – at 7oz, the Entsport gripper can carry up to 33lb of weight. That should be enough for an average angler.
- No rotating head
- It is limited to small games
Overall, we recommend the Piscifun fish lip gripper. It comes with several features and has the most accurate digital scale. If you don’t mind the $39.99 price, go for it.
Share the Love
If you found this post useful, please let others know about it by sharing it.
If you found this post useful, please explore others posts.